Monday, August 17, 2009

One worker, who is no longer working for Final Finish, cut the wires going to the rear of the car without labeling them. Ken and I traced the wires back to the dash and I used a schematic and a tester to reconnect the wires from the dash.

I still have an issue with the front turn signal and horn.



This car got hit in the past and we had a hard time to align the front. I brought my DS to compare and measure everything. Now we have the same dimensions and this car is more straight than my own DS! But somehow, the shape of the hood at the front is different. Ken pushed down to have the hood follow the bumper and since the reinforcement underneath was cracked from a previous accident, the hood developed a crack...

So, now Ken has to fixed the crack and repaint the hood.

He riveted a reinforcement, so this will not happen again in the future.

I am getting close to finish the dash, once all electrical issues are addressed. The chrome piece around the pod will be able to get fixed and re-chromed. The bad news is that it might take 8 weeks to get it back. We will return the car to the owner without the part and I will go to the owner's house install the part at a later date.



The upholstery shop stitched together a piece of leather and piece of cloth together. Now we have to cut to dimension, fold, glue and stained the leather to match the door panels.



I found stencils with 3" letters. unfortunately the French fonts are narrower, but it will be pretty close though. Due to the compound curves on the plate, I could not use the stencils directly to the plate (The paint would have bled underneath), so I used a stick on paper and traced the fonts...


I use my laptop with pictures I took when I've sanded the plate to help me as far as the placement.

A very laborious job: Cut out the letters with an Exacto knife.


I used a piece of Scotch pad to scuff the paint.


Done! I used satin white to match the satin red. This is the number she left France with. You can look it up, this number was assigned in 1967.


The plate under the gearbox and brakes was rusted. I used Chipgard paint to protect it and make it presentable.



The valence was treated the same way than the top of the body. I have painted the grill with a silver gray paint.



We tried to fix the brackets that hold the hood down near the windshield. Of course, everything broke, even the tap! We will address this this week.